Sunday, 4 January 2015

Not much happened over the summer on the layout but with Code 55 flex, #5 and #7 turnouts having shown up about 3 weeks ago layout progress has begun.

Over the summer I did spend some time working on the start of my city. I have the base roads installed and a few building in place. All still need weathering and details.

I have installed the 4 A/D tracks for the yard and mainline 1 has been installed around the whole layout. I don’t have the #10 turnouts that I need for the mainline cross overs yet so I have used paper cut outs to mark where they will be going. It is great to be able to see trains moving even though it is only part done and the power for the whole layout is coming from one power drop. This is also my first time using code 55 track, it is not as robust to handling as code 80 so I am taking track layout slower than I normal would. Also I have always laid track with water based contact cement but on this layout I tried DAP latex caulk for the first time. So far so good with the caulk. I always thought it would make a mess but if you only use a small bead and then a putty knife everything is kept neat and tidy. I had a few spots where I had to much caulk but was able to scrap it off after it dried with a knife. I have not glued within 2 feet of anywhere where I will be installing a turnout so they will install easy.

This is the one side of the peninsula

And the other

Here is a video update of the layout so far.

I have also started the wiring for the layout. At this point in time I will not be installing occupancy detectors and signaling, but the layout will be set up now for their installation at a later time.

Thanks for looking